Our itinerary

We will visit all of New England with the exception of Vermont on this journey. Connecticut will also be a bit of a drive-by, but hey, it still counts.

We will start in Long Island, New York, visiting family at the beach. Next, we journey by ferry to Connecticut and drive to Newport, Rhode Island, land of the wealthy.

After an evening there, we will drive to Lake Sunapee, New Hampshire by way of Plymouth Rock to stay with dear friends in their summer home.

After New Hampshire, we will trek to Portland/Kennebunk/Kennebunkport, Maine to check out lighthouses.

Our New England journey will end with a visit to Boston, Massachusetts.

And as an added bonus, we will then fly to North Carolina to visit "nana."

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Boston - Day One.

VM: We couldn't leave Maine today without a look at one really good lighthouse, so we drove along US 1 on our way to Boston in the morning. We were not disappointed when we saw the Nubble Lighthouse in York Harbor. It is the quintessential lighthouse, complete with a keeper's home & the good ole' red, white and blue guarding it. It was beautiful.

HM, EM and I have all agreed that we must come back to Maine for a longer visit. It is a beautiful state.

We made our way to Boston and were in the city by noon. Fortunately, our one-bedroom Back Bay rental apartment was ready early so the girls and I were able to get settled prior to Titi (my sister Michele) arriving at around 3pm.

By 4pm we were on our way to Boston's subway -- the "T"-- to head to the North End which is the city's Little Italy section. The weather was glorious & we had a lovely al fresco dinner at Mother Anna's, a local eatery. Afterwards, we headed further down Hanover Street to check out the St. Joseph's festival. Apparently, this is a Little Italy summer tradition, every weekend they feast a different saint. It is mostly an excuse to party, but we had fun checking out the tacky booths, eating gelato & Italian ices and soaking in the mix of colorful locals & tourists. All four of us invested in new shades from a guy who couldn't stop talking.

Couldn't resist this!!!

How would you like it if the valet parked your Phantom Rolls Royce like this!?!?!

We got a small dose of history too. We took a look inside Saint Leonard Church which was supposedly founded in 1875 and is the first Roman Catholic Church in New England. And we saw a statue dedicated to Paul Revere.

City strolling in new shades.
We came back to our pad via the T again, to recharge the batteries for tomorrow's adventure -- the Freedom Trail!

HM: I thought Boston was beautiful the second I drove in. I love how you can walk everywhere like New York. Fortunately, it seems it's not as crowded as New York.

We went to a real festival in Little Italy. I got two bracelets for 8 bucks! And mom treated me to some new sunglasses. We also saw the oldest church in New England. That was interesting.

I like our apartment. It's cute. Tomorrow we're hitting the Freedom Trail and I'll write more.

EM: I like Boston. I like my new sunglasses and Titi's new sunglasses. And Hannah's. And Mama's. I like where I had dinner. I had spaghetti and meatballs. It was good. I can't wait for the Freedom Trail although I'm not sure about all the walking. That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment