Our itinerary

We will visit all of New England with the exception of Vermont on this journey. Connecticut will also be a bit of a drive-by, but hey, it still counts.

We will start in Long Island, New York, visiting family at the beach. Next, we journey by ferry to Connecticut and drive to Newport, Rhode Island, land of the wealthy.

After an evening there, we will drive to Lake Sunapee, New Hampshire by way of Plymouth Rock to stay with dear friends in their summer home.

After New Hampshire, we will trek to Portland/Kennebunk/Kennebunkport, Maine to check out lighthouses.

Our New England journey will end with a visit to Boston, Massachusetts.

And as an added bonus, we will then fly to North Carolina to visit "nana."

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

New Hampshire & Vermont (!)


VM: We are having a blast in New Hampshire and the girls were even able to add Vermont to their New England bucket list yesterday.

After a short evening of "getting to know you," on Monday the girls started hanging out in earnest with my girlfriend Lisa's boys, Max & Luke, Tuesday.
During the day, we went to explore Lake Sunapee Harbor, a quaint New Hampshire harbor just minutes from Lisa's house. It was perfectly charming, complete with stores selling penny candy. We had a relaxing afternoon exploring & cooling off with homemade ice cream.


We returned to the house by 4pm to a picture perfect afternoon. Kids had a blast playing "king of the platform" on the crystal clear lake and even quickly befriended the kids from next door. A beautiful sunset was spent on the dock visiting with the neighbors and their dogs, Sunny (lab) & Moose (wolfhound).

Sunny was particularly amusing as she constantly fished for her ball.
Moose just tried to sneak some of our guacamole & chips when no one was looking.



Yesterday, Lisa suggested we venture to Vermont to see
Quechee Gorge, a natural gorge created during the Ice Age. Kids loved walking to the bottom of it and meeting Pearl, a 9-year-old Jack Russell Terrier who shared EM's birthday -- Sept. 21.





We marveled at all the cheeses at the Cabot store and of course, had to sample many.
I also loved seeing the beautiful crafts created by Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine artisans. A girl could go crazy.



We returned to NH later in the day to visit Dartmouth in Hanover. Charming town & campus. Of course, this is in 70 degree weather, not sure I would feel the same way about it in the heart of winter. Also learned it was the end (or I guess the beginning depending on how you look at it) of the Appalachian Trail. Who knew?!



We happened to visit when they had a mini-Farmer's Market on the quad. Totally enjoyed seeing the organic produce from local farmers and the incredible flowers. HM ate a whole container raspberries on the spot which Lisa's mother bought her. We had to buy two more prior to leaving.



Kids ended the day with another swim in the lake. Grown-ups ended it with wine & yummy Vermont Cheddar shared with the neighbors. We watched a fierce storm roll in and were amazed when hail pounded the deck and the windows. Luckily, no damage was done.

Today we are indulging the kids with a visit to Canobie Lake Park (www.canobie.com), a regional theme park. They are all very excited and Jane, one of my bosses/friends, was even able to arrange comp tickets for us. This is when the kids think it's REALLY COOL that I work :-).

HM: Yesterday I experienced my 1st hail storm. That was REALLY COOL!!!!!!!!!! Today we are going to Canobie Lake Park! I can't wait. There grandma is like a grandma to me. She bought me raspberries. I ate the whole thing!!! The lake is warmer then the sea.

I went to Vermont. So now I can say I've been to all of New England.

We also went to Plymouth and I saw the Plantation & the Mayflower II. I met Priscilla's husband. Priscilla is my favorite pilgrim. Her dad, her brother and her mother passed away in a brutal storm and she still liked being with kids and helping other families. That was neat.

And then we went on a lobster boat. I got to hold a lobster. I seriously think the man who owned the boat was trying to gross me out. That was a lot of fun.

I've had fun getting to know Luke and Max. We've been playing hide and seek in the woods, swimming in the lake and playing Pictionary, trivia. Super fun.

EM: I liked the Indians and the Pilgrims. I had fun getting out the traps on the lobster boat. We listened to Jimmy Buffett on the way back.

I like swimming in the lake and playing with Max, Luke, Maggie & Sara (VM NOTE: the last two are the neighbors' girls.)


No comments:

Post a Comment