Our itinerary

We will visit all of New England with the exception of Vermont on this journey. Connecticut will also be a bit of a drive-by, but hey, it still counts.

We will start in Long Island, New York, visiting family at the beach. Next, we journey by ferry to Connecticut and drive to Newport, Rhode Island, land of the wealthy.

After an evening there, we will drive to Lake Sunapee, New Hampshire by way of Plymouth Rock to stay with dear friends in their summer home.

After New Hampshire, we will trek to Portland/Kennebunk/Kennebunkport, Maine to check out lighthouses.

Our New England journey will end with a visit to Boston, Massachusetts.

And as an added bonus, we will then fly to North Carolina to visit "nana."

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Boston - Day Two.

EM:  I finished the Freedom Trail!  We met some dogs.  They were cute.  I saw this tiny Beagle puppy.  He was playing with his "sister."  And I ended the day with Banzai, a Wheaten Terrier, at Boston Common.  We walked A LOT.  Mom says around 5 to 6 miles.  I like Boston and I got a T-shirt which says, I "heart" Boston.  And I'm really happy Titi came.

I saw a street performer.  I liked how he got tied up and got out by himself.  It was funny.  I also liked Paul Revere's house.

HM:  I loved the whole Freedom Trail.  We walked up the Bunker Hill monument.  294 steps each way!!! When I stood still, my calves shook!!! You could see them vibrate!!!

I did not expect the trail to be like it was, but I thought it was interesting how it took you through the city.  My favorite part was Paul Revere's house and Copp's Burying Ground.  It was cool to read the tombstones.  Some had skulls on them.

At lunch, I tried Titi's Maine lobster and even wore a bib.  I loved it.  We saw a street performer at Faneuil Hall.  He was an escape artist who went upside down and escaped by himself.

VM:  We did it!  We had some rough points, but we all finished the Freedom Trail, including Miss EM.  For those who haven't visited Boston before, this is a fabulous way to see the city and learn it's history and historical significance to the birth of our country.  I'm a bit awed by it.  The trail takes you to wonderfully interesting sites.  We, of course, got sidetracked to meet local city doggies along the way, but for the most part, we followed the red line throughout the city which marks the trail.


One of the most interesting sites was the USS Constitution, our oldest commissioned warship.  They have a great museum really geared towards kids.  Girls even practiced hoisting a goat onboard!

We also all enjoyed a musket demonstration at Bunker Hill after Titi & Hannah braved climbing up & down the obelisk which as Hannah says, "looks like the Washington monument."  EM made it up 50 steps and said she had enough.  I was happy to oblige returning to terra firma.

We lunched at Faneuil Hall and enjoyed the good food, beautiful weather and great people-watching.  HM tried Titi's lobster but EM was happy to stick to mac n' cheese although she DID try my salmon and proclaimed, "it tastes like chicken!"

We finished the day at the Massachusetts State House across from the Boston Common, the oldest public park in the U.S.  It used to be the common grazing ground for the patriots.  Miraculous that we all made it.  At one point, I even thought we were going to lose Titi!  Girls played in the park and took several carousel rides.  Titi tried to recover.

P.S.  During the trail, we came across a memorial for current soldiers in the Paul Revere mall.  I was moved by the simplicity of the idea but its large impact.  This city is a constant reminder of how fortunate we all are that there are soldiers who sacrifice for our freedom every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment